Friday, October 9, 2009

When does a house become a home?

When do you start to feel at home?  Is it when the boxes are unpacked and everything is put away?  Is it when you have your first houseguest, first party or first holiday?  I am not sure which one is it and I am sure it is different for everyone.  I can say from experience that it has been different with each house.  Our first house was a labor of love.  We redid it from top to bottom and loved every corner of it.  It was always a home.  House #2 was a work in progress when we moved.  It was supposed to be the forever house.  22 months there.  House number #3 was a great place to live, but it was never really home.  Number #4 was similar to number #1.  Lots of work that became a home.  Now, house #5 is waiting for me to embrace it and make it mine.  I just cannot figure out what it needs to make that happen.  Is it the landscaping that is a tad bit overgrown?  Or is it the kitchen that needs an overhaul?  I have had houseguest already (several times) and that has not done the trick.  So what does it take?

Well, I am sure there are all sorts of things that might work for different people.  But I think for me, it is going to be a list.
1.  Pick out paint colors for each room.
2.  Paint.
3.  Get rid of excess things.  Couches, tables, and junk.
4.  Call the landscapers and get bids for cleaning up the yard.
5.  Invite some friends or neighbors over.
6.  Have some fun!
7.  Don't worry about it all.

I think #7 is the most important one.  It will all come with time.  What is your trick?

5 comments:

  1. Paint + Wine + Friends = Home

    The cool part about painting is you can do it while drinking wine. As long as you don't drink too much.

    I'm incapable of worrying about things, but I agree it's important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Heather I agree! Now I just need to find a perfect replacement for my previous wine drinking neighbors! It will be tough I fear! Plus I need to find someone who comes up with the drink of the day as well. Pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Auntie Susie! I always think the house becoming a home is a gradual thing... just like moving to a new town, or state, or whatever. It's so ridiculously NOT home, and then one day you walk into your house and it just hits you. Home.

    P.S. Yay to family blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't try to replace those wonderful friends you speak of–it is impossible. Believe me I know! :o)

    But I'm confident there are other worthy applicants out there. Maybe they will have an appetizer of the day instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. About ten years ago we moved from a young lively neighborhood of contemporary centerhall colonials, with an association, progressive dinners and lot's of activities to a much more mature neighborhood of turn-of-the-century Victorians where the residents seemed to generally be the same age as the houses.

    It took a while to feel at home. The house was like a museum for about a year. Then gradually it started feeling right. I think it's important to get one room fixed up exactly as you want... and let that become your sanctuary, and a catalyst for a slow transformation of the rest of the house. It'll come along.

    ReplyDelete