Thursday, October 22, 2009

Making New Friends

The text said meet me for coffee at noon. Somebody wanted to do something with me!!  The problem was I had no clue who it was.  At first I thought perhaps it was a wrong number.  Then I realized it was a local area code and I have an out of state one so they must have known me.  Random dialing that way just does not happen.  Then I determined that it was my new friend Ms. L who I met at Starbucks last week.  She wanted to see me.  Now, for those of you who have not had the luxury of moving, this is an euphoric feeling!  It makes you feel like you are making progress, even when you don't want to.  Let me explain:

It was one of those days where I did not want to put myself out there and just felt like hiding.  I was having a beauty free day (which should have scared anyone away) and I was just going to sit and read the paper at Starbucks.  A treat for me since I do not normally take the time to do that on a daily basis.
Though I didn't feel like chatting, I didn't feel like being at home.  So I dragged myself to the nearest Barista and sat down to enjoy a cup'o Joe and the paper. I was in public, but not required to participate in what was going on.  After a few minutes the gal sitting next to me started up a conversation.  At first I was very quiet (I know, imagine that) but I then decided to actively join in and chat back.  We ended up talking for over an hour and instead of it being that get to know you chat,  it was just pleasant conversation with another human.  We exchanged numbers and agreed to call in the future.  Fast forward 1 week.
The poor gal caught me in a beauty free day again, but she is a Mom and knows how that is.  I must admit, though I was not up to the "meet people" moment last week, I am glad I put myself out there.  Ms. L (identity hidden) is a lovely person who is fun to chat with.  I look forward to our next visit!

Making new friends can be a fun thing to do.  But it can also be exhausting.  Especially when you move.   There is always the notion of having to be on all of the time.  Happy, smiling and full of fun.  But there are days when you just can not chat with another person if your life depended on it.  But sometimes, the effort pays off and you get the pleasure of getting to know another person whom you can call a friend.  So when you feel like crawling into your hole, crawl back out and get a cup of coffee.

2 comments:

  1. I'm feeling like crawling in a hole for the entire winter—and I never moved! Any ideas wise one?

    I did decide to start painting Christmas ornaments to pull myself away from the computer. Nice quiet time with Golfing Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you can paint golf balls and add initials. That could look really cute!
    As for the winter, it is the price we pay so that we can enjoy Spring, Summer & Fall. Call me for a cup of coffee. We can talk from our caves!

    ReplyDelete